Monday, 30 January 2012


I am now focusing on analysing the data. Besides the Python scripts used in the pilot study, I added some more feature analysis, like overcorrection.

From simple t-test and graph in Excel, only some of them had significant p-value, and the graph didn't contain any trends.The results from SPSS (only for the feature percentage of higher than upper bounds) showed that the Estimated Marginal Means has a clear trend, the cognitive load increased from Level 0 to Level 3. Next week, I will continue the analysing and start to edit some parts of the report.

Wednesday, 18 January 2012


Today, I finished experiments for 7 subjects, including Session 1 and Session 2. I added a question today about whether they often use tablet, so that it can be taken into consideration in the data analysis.

Currently, I have to enter the subjective feedback data into computer and then combined files of User 0 correctly.

Monday, 16 January 2012


The actual experiment started last Friday (January 13th) and continued this week. After the Session 1 of the first subject, the program was modified to include different repeats instead of manually starting the program after every sections. Up to now, I've finished the Session 1 for four subjects, and I am on the schedule. Hopefully, the experiment will be finished at the end of this week.

Tuesday, 10 January 2012


For the past few days, I was doing the pilot study, which include the procedure of experiment, user interface and difficult levels. I also made some changes to the experiment according to the data analysis result. In order to increase the difficulty, I designed another two versions of secondary task -- distinguishing between even and odd number of tones and using flash effect of border instead of playing beeps. The above two versions will be tested within this week, and I think I can use more than one in the final experiment.

Friday, 6 January 2012


I've been working on the script for data analysis of the pilot study for two days. Up to now, I finish the computations of average pressure (for the whole experiment), average pressure for different levels, percentage of time that out of bounds (0.3 - 0.5) and correctness of tone counting task answer. During the testing, I also improved the format of the logging file, adding some fields to facilitate the analysis.

Wednesday, 4 January 2012


Today is the first day after the long break, and I think the most important for me is to catch up the schedule. Firstly, I started to read the recommended article about designing experiments to learn more theories. Then, I reviewed the codes and modified some small parts. In the meeting with the supervisor, I got a clearer plan for this week and some ideas of data analysis (for the pilot study).