Monday, 20 February 2012


Last Friday, I finished the final presentation. This week which is also the last week, I should focus on the report. The report should cover all what I've done in the past 12 weeks, and discussions about the result.

Friday, 10 February 2012


Up to now, I have finished almost all the data analysis and the results are to be reviewed after preparing the presentation. Some of the results are not significant as expected, and I am trying to think about the reasons. It may cause by learning effect or other factors like gender, age and so on.

I plan to focus on editing the report from next Monday and hope I can finish it before the 24th. The final presentation will be on next Friday.

Thursday, 2 February 2012


I am now doing the ANOVA test to three main features -- percentage of higher than upper bounds, average pressure and number of overcorrection. As Excel cannot do the one-way repeated measures ANOVA,  I am learning to use SPSS.

From the book, I understand that I should firstly draw some graphs like frequency histograms to get an overview of the data before doing the intensive analysis.

I still have some problems in data normalization. I am still not sure what type of data needs normalization and which formula is the best.

Monday, 30 January 2012


I am now focusing on analysing the data. Besides the Python scripts used in the pilot study, I added some more feature analysis, like overcorrection.

From simple t-test and graph in Excel, only some of them had significant p-value, and the graph didn't contain any trends.The results from SPSS (only for the feature percentage of higher than upper bounds) showed that the Estimated Marginal Means has a clear trend, the cognitive load increased from Level 0 to Level 3. Next week, I will continue the analysing and start to edit some parts of the report.

Wednesday, 18 January 2012


Today, I finished experiments for 7 subjects, including Session 1 and Session 2. I added a question today about whether they often use tablet, so that it can be taken into consideration in the data analysis.

Currently, I have to enter the subjective feedback data into computer and then combined files of User 0 correctly.

Monday, 16 January 2012


The actual experiment started last Friday (January 13th) and continued this week. After the Session 1 of the first subject, the program was modified to include different repeats instead of manually starting the program after every sections. Up to now, I've finished the Session 1 for four subjects, and I am on the schedule. Hopefully, the experiment will be finished at the end of this week.

Tuesday, 10 January 2012


For the past few days, I was doing the pilot study, which include the procedure of experiment, user interface and difficult levels. I also made some changes to the experiment according to the data analysis result. In order to increase the difficulty, I designed another two versions of secondary task -- distinguishing between even and odd number of tones and using flash effect of border instead of playing beeps. The above two versions will be tested within this week, and I think I can use more than one in the final experiment.